Popnikolova’s house

DSC 0666

Popnikolova’s house


   Popnikolova’s house is one the most distinct houses in Elena. It is built in the first half of the 19th century around the year of 1830. In the first years after the liberation the technical service of the town was located here, that is why it is also known as “The Old Engineering House.” The building is three stores with a ground floor and two additional floors. The ground floor had two workshops with stone walls; the floors above it were residential. Today the house is a historical building of the culture with national importance.  

   After the completion of restoration, the Popnikolova House was given to the Sofia University “Saint Kliment Ohridski” to be used as an educational center. At the moment the ground floor of the house is used as a paleontology museum for the needs of the students.

   In the museum there is a collection of materials from academic professor Dr. Todor Nikolov, senior research associate Stoicho Breskovski and senior research associate Kristalina Stoikova. Part of the materials were found around the town of Elena and were collected by students from the department of geology and paleontology of the Sofia University “Saint Kliment Ohridski,” during their summer course for paleontology which were conducted on the basis of the Sofia University in the town of Elena

   Paleontology museum
   Working ours: Wednesday to Sunday 9.00-12.00 h. and  13.00-17.00 h.
   Tel: 0878 320941
   Addres: Town of Elena 5070, Karshovska str. 6
   GPS: 42.92873,25.875687
   web: http://www.paleo-elena.hit.bg/ , http://www.museum-elena.hit.bg/

   Admission tax: Adults - 2lv, students and retired people -1lv.

   DSC 5364  DSC 5356